Friday, September 24, 2004

French Minister Channels Kerry Campaign

From the Financial Times:

The findings could also help dispel growing concerns in Europe about the relocation of jobs to other countries. The issue of "delocalisation" has sparked particularly heated controversy in France and, to a lesser extent, Germany.

Earlier this month Nicolas Sarkozy, the French finance minister, suggested the east European countries that recently joined the EU should be forced to raise their corporate tax levels to create a level playing field or face cuts in their EU structural funds.


Good thing they joined the EU. Imagine what demands would be made of them if they were outside the family!
Remember this passage from Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged?

...Mr. Mowen followed, looking up at him, pleading with something up in space: "I've got rights, haven't I? I was born here. I expected the old companies to be here when I grew up. I expected to run the plant like my father did. A man is part of his community, he's got a right to count on it, hasn't he?...Why are they all running to Colorado?" he asked. "What have they got down there that we haven't got?"

The young man grinned. "Maybe it's something you've got that they haven't got."

"What?" The young man did not answer. "I don't see it. It's a backward, primitive, unenlightened place. They don't even have a modern government. It's the worst government in any state. The laziest. It does nothing--outside of keeping law courts and a police department. It doesn't do anything for the people. It doesn't help anybody. I don't see why all our best companies want to run there."

The young man glanced down at him, but did not answer.


Eerie.

No comments: