Thursday, May 18, 2006

Rep. Calvert Responds

This week I wrote my congressman, Ken Calvert, asking him to oppose any amnesty bill.

His reply:

May 18, 2006

Mr. (The Yell) , Jr.
(The Laird's House)
Riverside, CA 92509-6225

Dear Mr. (TheYell),

Thank you for contacting me regarding immigration reform. I
appreciate the opportunity to respond.

I am categorically opposed to giving amnesty to illegal immigrants
and support enforcement efforts to gain control of our borders.
Recent protests by pro-immigrant rights groups will not influence
my commitment to controlling the borders and opposing amnesty.
I think the May Day protests were rather ironic since the economy
rolled on just fine and many people reported that the freeway was
free of gridlock.

As you may know, I helped write a provision included in a recent
bill, numbered H.R. 4437, addressing illegal immigration that
passed the House by a vote of 239-182. Specifically, the provision
that would require all employers to use an automatic employment
verification program that would check all employees' name and
Social Security Number. A voluntary program, called the Basic
Pilot Program, is currently in use in all 50 states and has run
successfully for a decade. I support making this program
mandatory because I believe it is one way to turn off the "job
magnet" and stem the tide of illegal immigration.

H.R. 4437 included a number of other proposals to enforce
immigration laws including extending the U.S.-Mexico border
fence for the entire length of the border, eliminating the diversity
visa lottery, and increasing penalties for illegal immigrants and
those who encourage illegal migration. The Senate is considering
an immigration reform package and then a House-Senate
conference committee will work out the differences between the
Senate's version and H.R. 4437. I will continue to support
legislation focusing on an enforcement-first approach and will
encourage my colleagues to do the same.

You may also be interested to know that I am committed to making
English the official language of the U.S. I cosponsored a bill, H.R.
997, that would declare English to be the official language. The
attention given to a Spanish-language version of the Star Spangled
Banner simply proved our need to declare English the official
language of our country.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to do so
again on any issue of importance to you. In the meantime, I invite
you to visit my Internet website at www.house.gov/calvert.
Sincerely,

Ken Calvert
Member of Congress
We'll see what he does when the conference committee comes back; I feel better about his attitude going into that process.

No comments: