Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Hope

I don't know why I read TIME or any article out of it. It is either inane fluff or inane agitprop.

I'm not sure where to place an article snarking Obama for going to Iraq yesterday. Iraq belongs to BUSH, you see. Obama has to keep his distance.

Something I'll remember when I'm lectured about disloyalty to MY president.

Hope is a virtue and despair is sinful renunciation of the love of God. The love of God for each of is truly personal, however. We tend to forget that, even in the United States, the land of individual rights. We've come to endorse "the greatest good for the greatest number" and the idea of self is officially frowned upon. But in fact our salvation is individual.

I am reminded of that, this Holy Week because I pray daily for hope and faith and charity and then calculate my country is rotting. Our system isn't promised anything. Our system doesn't have to work, and the real power of the Sacred is transcending our improvised, temporary politics. And hope is confidence in our ability to succeed in remaining loyal to the Sacred.

No comments: